Sunday, May 14, 2006

we all need to feel secure, we're so middle class


My middle class childhood friend Hilary and I went to have a "moment" at the Stills show last night (Spectrum).

I bought the debut album, Logic Will Break Your Heart, when Hil and I were living together in NDG, aka "the Wesmount-adjacent lifestyle". It played a lot in that apartment and Hilary really loved it, so when I heard The Stills were playing I knew who I had to call. Good luck for me, Hilly's on vacation so she had the night off.

We met with Les Boys at Foufounes first, for pre-show drinks. Tom, Steve, Graham and Julian and Justine went to the Ninja Tunes show at Metropolis to hear Coldcut (aka "Baloney!") and Blockhead, and hopefully get into the after-party. I guess there will be more news on the success or failure of that venture on Tom's blog. I'm betting on "success".

The great thing about last night's show, compared to the show I saw at Club Soda maybe 2 years ago, is that it did NOT seem as though a busload of 14-year old private-school girls had been shipped in. There were actual males at this concert, and people over the legal age of majority. Hurray for that. As usual with the shows I like to go see in Montreal -and I guess it's normal because it's Quebec- most people are French. Personally, I think this just means French Quebecers know what's good for them. And they're hotter.

Anyway, show was great. An even mix of the new album (bought it) and the old one. Dramatic silhouette light effects. Bilingual banter. I miss the sullen guitarist that left last year, he looked cool, but the new additions were awesome. Keyboardists rule, as usual, and I liked the drummer's parisien-boy striped top.

The picture is from their website, thanks!

***
Random notes: Looking to put a birdhouse up on my balcony. Such pretty whistling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo izzy, I was @ that show too! The keyboardist is a friend of mine... he totally rules. fun times. chris

 
eXTReMe Tracker