Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Why is everyone so afraid of confirming the racism poll? I've heard dozens of opinions in the media -starting with the Premier of Quebec- insisting that, although 60% of us *admitted* to being racist, we are not. What's going on?

Mostly, I've heard people argue the semantics of the survey. How maybe it's different to "discriminate" or to be "xenophobic" than to be racist. I don't really get that. And most of all, I don't get why it's so important to deny it. Especially after people have been so frank as to acknowledge it, even slightly.

The reason I accept the poll is because, in myself, I consider any amount of discrimination, xenophobia, and judgement equivalent to racism. Maybe someone could explain what racism is and how it differs significantly from those things. I've heard a lot about how, oh, maybe we have some negative views but we're not, like, problematic racists, ie Archie Bunker. If you ask me, most of us already said we were "slightly" racist (43% according to the poll) and that doesn't make it much better.

The racism I see in myself is when I notice my reaction to someone is different, for better or for worse, based exclusively on the person's origin or background. Not being colourblind and believing in generalizations is racism, in whatever degree, in my opinion, and referring to my own reactions.

When a man on a plane tells me I'm "clearly South American" because of my facial features, I have to laugh. Because just as many people have asked me if I'm French, or Eastern European. When a woman tries to explain to me that a native Canadian can't "possibly" know anything about making Edwardian costumes, it's not funny. And when Bernard Landry talks on the radio about first generation Canadians not being "fully integrated" because our accent (???) is still there, I get mad. Yup, I'm going to say there is racism alive and kicking, even if, as Mr. Bunker used to say "Uh, no intense offended there".

Archie: Good going there, Pedro.
Carlos Mendoza: My name is Carlos.
Archie: Carlos it is, Pedro.
***

1 comment:

Ricardo said...

mmm.... y que pasa con los Gonzalez???

Cambiar el apellido paterno (español y repetido) por el materno fue un acto de protección contra el racismo o tiene motivos personales?.

La verdad esta pregunta es para tu viejo, Isabel, pero el no tiene blog (lamentablemente).

En todo caso, respecto al tema del post, yo creo que la principal diferencia se da cuando alguien es inconscientemente racista o es un racista "activo".

Es muy distinto asustarse al ver a alqguien "distinto" (que resulta distinto por ignorancia nada más) que querer matarlo o no darle pega por ser distinto.

De hecho lo que hay es ignorancia o racismo, pero no son la misma cosa.

 
eXTReMe Tracker