Sunday, January 14, 2007

"Only 17 when all your dreams came true"


The title is from an OMD song I used to listen to when I was seventeen. All my dreams really did come true when I was that age. But then I had new dreams. Now I'm about to turn 32 and I thought I was through with those. At least, the wild and crazy, "are you sure?" kind. But... I'm not.

One of the best things I got back for myself in the last 6 months was space to play out my sense of ambition and motivation. I don't often want things badly, but when I do, I can get pretty obsessive. And now, between a new year and the beginning of the Chinese year of the Pig or Ox, there's something I want so badly, I cannot stop thinking about how I'm going to get it. And no, I'm not telling.

My dream, though, is full of obstacles. Real, hardcore, financial and legal obstacles. I admit, I admire and respect risk. The taking of risks. I feel a life without it is disappointing, but it's also comfortable and sensible. I was wondering who else has wanted something like that so much, and what have they done to get it. Like Rimbaud* walking for three days to get to Paris, what's the most you'd give to get what you want? And have you ever wanted something that much?

*in the picture

6 comments:

Cuqui said...

Oh si.... y lo logré. después de más de 12 años de obsesión compulsiva logré lo que quería y me fui a Irlanda. País maravilloso. Que tuve que hacer para eso? traducir un libro, hacer clases de inglés a personas que nunca iban a aprender, soportar a un jefe estúpido, y todos esos comentarios "pero por qué Irlanda! anda a parísitalialondresbarcelona blablabla.
Resultado: la mejor experiencia de mi vida. lejos. Go for it!

AWB said...

creo que eso de las opiniones da para Mucho..

la gente siempre te va a recomendar SUS lugares favoritos..

y que onda Barcelona con les chiliens?
siempre lo mismo

vamos con esos cumplea;os Isabelita.. yo me voy a Congui.. con la mama..

te contare..
ah, murio mi camara, asi que no se como lo hare ahi

Heather said...

I really like the idea of taking a risk. Even when it doesn't work out, the consolation of knowing you tried sometimes outweights the disapointment. It's a win-win.

Isabel said...

That's an interesting point, Heather. I wonder, though, if it can't be divided further. There's a difference between the results when you add some thought, some planning, some hard work (see Cuqui's comment above if you can read Spanish) and... when you don't. I agree with you. Taking a risk for something you consider worthwhile is a goal in itself. But I'd feel better about myself if I didn't have to think "why didn't I plan this better?" after I fail. :)
PS Cuqui was talking about achieving her goal of travelling to Ireland, which cost her a dozen years of hard work, etc.

Amy said...

how far i’ll go to get what i want depends how much what i want conflicts with other things i want and how consistently i want it. i figure one’s life can be described as a series of choices pertaining to what one has wanted most of all. i also like the filter of locating the impetus for wanting something so desperately. i’m tempted to say that desperation indicates an impoverished set of basic needs (a set which includes self expression and creativity) but don’t know if i sound paternalistically maslowian…

i wanted to ask about your new year’s resolution on your 2nd post of the year but couldn’t get my flashy new blogger account to post my message. so… any hints? does this post have anything to do with that?

Isabel said...

Amyz,

I think calling creativity and self-expression basic is actually kind of anti-maslowian...

I'm also a fan of considering the "why" behind the "want". And, as always, listing all the things I can learn from the sheer experience, if not from obtaining the desired results. Always the journey, eh?

But I still want what I want. Really.

So, my resolution is kinda related, but it's not one and the same. Here's a hint: the reason I can't spell out my resolution or describe my goal is because you never know who's reading this and there could be a major financial conflict of interest. That is vague. And that's the way I'm keeping it. Email me :)

 
eXTReMe Tracker