Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Personal and The Pointless

You know what I really love? A nice looong conversation about nothing. In other words, a lot about me, some about you, and in between stuff about the world in general. Nothing too controversial; just The Personal and The Pointless.

I just spent a nice little while chewing my busy friend Sarah’s ear off on the phone. I’m glad. Busy people don’t get their ears chewed off often enough.

I was confessing to Sarah how it *still* bothers me to get a Feedreader update of Steve’s blog with a picture of Tom and his post-me girlfriend Lucy on it. Luckily… luckily, the picture is so obscure you can’t see anything but still. There is that CRUNCH in my stomach as soon as I even see his name. “Is this gonna be about the T word?” Sarah asked.

I’ve taken every measure I can to eliminate Tom from my very existence; something I’ve never done with anyone before. I blocked him on messenger, I blocked his email, I deleted all links and references to his blog… I even (regretfully) stopped reading a blog he followed me onto. Now I’ve (unfortunately) deleted Steve’s blog from my Feedreader. I feel immature and unright. This is silly. And it makes it really obvious to me that I am a tiny little person who can’t even get over a stupid breakup.

Yet Sarah says she’s still bothered by a breakup that happened two years ago. And she named some other people who still get upset over their over-6-months-ago breakups. “Really?” I asked incredulously. It made me feel sad –for them- but reassured –for me- to know that I’m not the only loony who gets punched in the stomach every time I am faced with the fact that this person continues to exist.

I KNOW, it’s silly. Immature. Unbecoming. What can I do? I guess I got over other stuff, eventually, therefore I’ll get over this. It’s miserable to be soft, but if you want me to be honest and not too modest, I’m proud that I can be soft these days. Hardcore never did me any favours.
****
Si algo hecho de menos de vivir momentos apestosos como éste en Chile es ese vuelco medio sentimental, medio “significativo”, que se le dan a este tipo de cosas allá. Cierto, muchas veces preferí dejar eso de lado e ir al grano sin tanto tralalá, pero a veces, bueno, me gustaría poder tener la oportunidad de rechazar los mimos. Qué gusto me daría, por ejemplo, darle tres mil vueltas con las expertas: Vero, Bárbara, Tere, y ultra maestra de la conversación Pointless, Mariana Ibáñez. Jeje.

8 comments:

bubi said...

Amiga tu sabes siempre estoy para ti,..para las largas charlas del amor y desamor,. de los prospectos,. de los ex,. de los peor es na,...de todos los hombres que nos quitan , quitaron o quitaran el sueño,..
Besos y bravo!!!

Heather said...

Isabel, you aren't immature in the least. I so sympathize with how absolutely ravaging a breakup can be. But I admire your resilience. A lot of women wouldn't have the strong sense of self-preservation that you do and I have no doubt that will carry you a long way.

Isabel said...

Thanks, H. That's really very sweet of you to say.

Anonymous said...

isabelita...este tipo de conversaciones es tan importante, croe yo, sea en castellano o en ingles, uno necesita darle vueltas y mas vueltas al asunto,a pas posibles ociones, al ''que habria pasado'', etc...y los terminos de relaciones no se superan asi no mas, asique date tiempo y permiso, cuidate y disfruta tu compania...y si quieres hablar, feliz te escucho...

Eve said...

One day you will wake up and wonder what you ever saw in him. That will be a great day.

Isabel said...

Eve, it's not so much "what did I ever see in him" it's more "why the hell didn't I walk away when I realized that was I thought I saw was not really there at all?"

Mood Indigo said...

I didn't realize I was a reader of you both - or that I knew of (in blog land) of who you spoke.

Regardless - h is right!

Eve said...

That does make it hard.

Too bad emotions and rationality don't get along better.

 
eXTReMe Tracker