Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Not Windy

Chicago has the same big city feel as New York, but without the pressure. There are those huge 1920s skyscrapers, full of elaborate details that you just don’t see anymore, lining streets like Michigan Avenue and the “Magnificent Mile”. It’s pretty gorgeous. Maybe I just like it so much because you don’t see anything like it anywhere in Canada. Toronto’s skyscrapers are all new and Montreal only has a couple of smaller buildings in that style, such as the Sun Life building or the apartments across from the Ritz.

Weird things about Chicago: I don’t see any city benches downtown and there’s an inordinate number of people canvassing. I didn’t stop to find out what they were asking for. Hmm, now I’m thinking maybe it’s related to the huge Church of Christ Scientist a block away from the Hyatt?

The weather’s been great, pretty much above zero the whole time. And sunny. No snow on the ground.

The hotel is a Hyatt. If you’ve been to one, you’ve been to all of them. The same layout in each room, right down to the awkward place they always choose to put their full-length mirrors.

I met with honorary Montrealers Jenn and Nick on Monday night, first for a bite at Bites and then to watch Mice Parade at the Empty Bottle. It was awesome! How fun to watch live music again, in a neighbourhood bar. The band looked like they were having such a good time, I wished I enjoyed my job half as much.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker