Thursday, February 16, 2006

a ding ding

In 2000 I was the editor of a magazine called Lat. 33. The salary was good, the boss was bad. I went to work on my scooter and I didn't really wear any jewelery.

One day, the boss's friend, N.O., came to visit and brought along his box of rings. N.O. was a jewelery designer who lived by the beach. Each of his pieces was one of a kind.

Like I said, I wasn't a big fan of rings and things, but since he was the boss's friend I tried to be polite and had a close look at his wares. My favourite was a very geometrical silver ring, that was shaped like a lopsided square. A trapezoid if you will. It was incredibly comfortable, and I offered to buy it as long as I was able to pay for it in 3 parts, over the course of 3 months. N.O. said "I'll give you a discount". I said "no, please, no discount necessary, but please let me pay for it with 3 checks". "Ok, fine, but I'll also give you a discount!" "No, no, no, please, just..." "ok". Like Axel says, it was like two Aquarians trying to do business "take my money, please" "no, please, take *my* money".

And then it got worse because I noticed after a while that only 1 of the checks had been cashed. In other words, only one third of the payment. So what would an Aquarian do? I called N.O. long distance to ask if he had noticed that the other checks hadn't been cashed. N.O. had no idea. He said "I just give the checks to my dad and he takes care of them and deposits them in my account, I have no clue, but I'll look into it". "Ok, I'll do the same, have a closer look at my account, etc".

So much for that. I guess I got my discount after all!

So for 6 years I've worn this big, one of a kind, silver ring on my right ring finger. I have left it a couple of places a couple of times, but never too far and I always get it back sooner rather than later. I feel strange without it, and for years I didn't even remove it to go to bed.

So imagine my shock and fear when I realized on the day I was scheduled to fly to Chicago that I wasn't wearing it and couldn't find it. I *always* think I'm going to die when I travel, so this didn't help.

Where is my ring? I miss my ring so much, it's even made me think less about missing other things, like my apartment and my life. Just, please, WHERE IS MY RING?

5 comments:

bubi said...

waaaaa, tu anillo favorito? si me acuerdo de el es un sello de isabella,....Ayer pase por donde estaba la lat 33, no se si aun existe, creo que no, freak el recuerdo de esa revista,. con ese jefe horroroso,. besos.te quiero amiga,...

Anonymous said...

boss' not boss's

Isabel said...

um, actually, dear Anonymous, look it up. Boss's is just as correct as boss'.

I already did: The possessive case of a singular noun is formed by adding -’s: one’s home, by day’s end, our family’s pet, the witness’s testimony, a fox’s habitat, the knife’s edge. Note that although some people use just the apostrophe after singular nouns ending in s (the witness’ testimony, Burns’ poetry), the -’s is generally preferred because it more accurately reflects the modern pronunciation of these forms. (bartleby.com where you can find The Elements of Style)

*Don't mess with the Jesus*

Anonymous said...

Nothing to say on my behalf apart from every day is a school day...
Thanks

Anonymous said...

jajaja me encanta que seas tan seca!!!! ojala que aparezca el anillo....

 
eXTReMe Tracker