Tuesday, March 21, 2006

But is it art?

In the elevator to my room at the Hyatt Regency at the Colorado Convention Center (mouthful, yes) there's a flat screen tv that shows what appears, at first glance, to be a still image. But on your way up to the 37th floor you hear strange noises. Maybe bird chirps, or a football team's members talking to each other. And you look around you in the empty elevator and you see that the image on the screen is actually moving, ever so slightly. Maybe the trees in the frame (the picture is not always the same each time you get on the elevator) are moving with the wind, or something.

My initial and principal reaction is: this is the most useless waste of money I have ever seen. I mean, what is it FOR? It's not even like a luxury benefit, like a spa, that may see useless but is good for relaxing or creating a mood. It's nothing. It affects me in no way, except for a very mild curiosity.

And then one of the temps here at the convention center was selling me her city and mentioned that there's all kinds of art in this town. There's a giant bear, for instance. A giant BLUE bear, looking into the convention center with his paws up, inches from the glass. I think it's called "oh, I see what you mean". The way she said it, I thought there was some double entendre I wasn't getting. I'm still not getting... "oh, I see what you mean", she kept repeating, ever more meaningfully, you know? Raising the eyebrows a bit...

Ok, and THEN she brings up the screen in my elevators! She says this too is ART! Well... this was news to me. I mean, it was a fresh perspective, and I appreciated it as such. Ah, ha, so maybe THAT'S what they were going for. Because, honestly, I didn't even understand until then WHY someone would put those screens in the elevator. But now if they thought they were being artistic! I see...

But still, is it art?



PS I also saw a pretty interesting show on A&E about polygamy in Utah. Crazy how many sub-Mormon groups there are there. And some of the women have moustaches!!

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker