Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Atlanta International Airport

(espanol -no es traduccion del ingles- al final)

I’m more comfortable in a hospital than in an airport. Although I’ve been flying since I was two weeks old (to be shown off to the family in Chile), I find I hate it more and more as I get older. It’s a completely unpleasant experience and I’m astonished that a survey published in the USA Today (“the nation’s paper”) said most people are more than satisfied with their flying experiences.

So, was it I’m picking up on that they’re not, or vice versa? Doesn’t it bother these happy people that we’re in a sarcophagus-shaped bullet, breathing recycled, dried-out air, subjected to the loud droning of the engine, unable to get a free meal anymore, or even decent headphones?

Since most of the flights I take are out of Canada, I usually have to be at the airport 2 hours ahead of time. And then wait. Wait, wait and wait. When you take a train, even across the border, you don’t need to go through this hurry-up-and-wait thing…

I have a checklist of things I need to carry with me when I travel, and one of them is a magazine, one that I can actually read, not just flip through (ie, not People). Most of them time, when I’m leaving I’ll take a Maisonneuve since I’m subscribed and I’m too cheap to buy a new magazine. On my way back I like a New Yorker, but that’s not always available in certain airports. I take a bottle of water to counter airplane air dehydration. If it’s a long flight, like the 20 hour journey to Chile, I have a small pillow that’s beautiful when you need to nap in an airport.

Lately, I’m concerned with spreading some more positive seeds of thought out there (Ms. Seed Spreader I am), so I would like to point out that airline magazines seem to have gotten better in the last couple of years. Particularly Air Canada and American Airlines. Right now, as a regular coach, middle class traveler for business and pleasure, my favourite carriers are those two and Lan Chile, which is the absolute best. Free wine in real glasses, and as I’ve pointed out in the past, I am positive they use aromatherapy to wake you up after the overnight stretch of the flight.

Now that’s service.

* * *
Hay que ir a Estados Unidos para darse cuenta del enorme desperdicio de recursos y espacio que debe ser llenado en vertederos en ese prospero país. Los esfuerzos que uno hace en una compacta ciudad como Montreal (con 1.8 millones de habitantes en la isla) son como migas comparado con lo que se podría hacer en territorios vastos como Orlando, donde he estado la semana recién pasada en una conferencia.

Hasta ahora, ningún centro de convenciones ha tenido acceso a reciclaje. Es algo en lo que me gustaría trabajar dentro de mi empresa. Una compañera de trabajo me mando al sitio greenmeetings.com y por ahí quiero ver como podemos mejorar al menos nuestros servicios. En la sección de las conferencias en que yo trabajo –la inscripción- se pierde mucho papel y plástico.

En la CBC, la radio nacional canadiense, escuche una nota acerca de los cartoneros chilenos y su ejemplar sistema para economías similares. Claramente, los Estados Unidos están en una posición muy diferente.

Aunque es ampliamente sabido que este país es uno de los sino el principal causante de los efectos nocivos al medioambiente del mundo, hay que verlo para creerlo. Hasta las luces que se dejan encendidas, o la infinita cantidad de envases y envoltorios plásticos que van a la misma basura que los desperdicios.

En mi experiencia, los americanos son sumamente obedientes y una buena campana de comunicación, creada por el país experto en comunicaciones, podría alterar significativamente el comportamiento de estos ciudadanos. Me pregunto que los esta deteniendo.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker