Wednesday, December 01, 2004

The apartment saga continues...or does it??

*versión en español más abajo*

On Monday, the superintendent of my building had let me know that he would be showing my apartment to a young couple. Since I had already spoken to the landlord about them helping me try to find a new lessee and how frustrated and exhausted I was of showing my place for the past 4 months, I said ok and tried to stay out of it.

Later that night, George (the Super), told me that the couple was very interested, but that since December 1 was 2 days away, would I theoretically be able to move out by then. I said it would be difficult, but that since that was my deal with the landlord, yes, I would get out in a day, if necessary.

On Tuesday, George called me at the office to say that they would be moving in December 15 and would I please bring over a letter releasing the apartment. Alright! That afternoon, I got seriously looking for a new place -FAST-, emailed several friends for help, and tried to keep focused. But things took an entirely different route a little later. Here is the email I sent to that original group of friends late Tuesday night:

"I'm not leaving my apartment.

This is how it happened. After apartment-hunting at work and mobilizing some of you guys, I walked around the Plateau looking for perfect places with signs in the window, thinking about whether it's better to leave destiny in the hands of others or do something myself... and about how I don't believe in quirky, lucky twists of fate like in the movies...and wondering why I used to think of myself as a lucky person and really don't anymore... Until I finally got home to find a message from Andy, the landlord, saying that he was sorry he hadn't mentioned it sooner but there were 2 costs I would have to pay before transferring my lease to these new people. They were:

1- $50 for George the Super for showing the apartment
2- $50 for the credit check Andy had to run on the potential lessees.

What?! I swore so much at the answering machine.... Anyway, with my very very recently acquired zen-powers, I called him back and calmly told him that I refused both charges on the grounds that 1- nowhere in the world do you perform a service and only after the fact say, by the way, this is gonna cost you. He never mentioned there would be a George-fee. 2- the credit check is his business, his responsibility, his cost. I reviewed my regie materials and confirmed that there is absolutely no cost for me to transfer my lease.

So he called me greedy. Blahblahblah. After a while of trying to put myself in his place, I said, ok, I agree that this benefits both of us in the end, so why don't we discuss how we can both share YOUR costs, because I can't even afford to pay them anyway, but let's talk about it. He said, no. No, forget it, I can't believe you, etc etc. So in the end, I once more put destiny in someone else's hands (his, in this case), and, in a quirky turn of events, actually got what I wanted in the first place:
-my apartment, by myself, and no more showing it to nosey people, even if it costs me half my salary. whatever. "

Empiezo desde este lunes, cuando el conserje me avisó que vendría una pareja a ver mi departamento para arrendarlo. Les recuerdo o les cuento que parte del trato con el dueño es que estoy "buscando" quien lo arriende. Yo había renunciado a la idea porque era demasiado agotador pero luego él se enteró y discutimos y acordamos que me ayudaría a buscar a alguien porque también a él le convenía (podría subir el arriendo).

El conserje mostró el departamento mientras yo lavaba platos en la cocina y una hora más tarde regresó y me dijo que estaban interesados pero que como faltaban sólo 2 días para el 1 de diciembre, qué pasaría si lo querían para entonces? dije que sería complicado, pero como era mi acuerdo con el dueño, aceptaría y me iría aunque fuera con 1 día de aviso.

El martes, George, el conserje, me llamó a la oficina para decirme que sí estaban interesados y que se mudarían el 15 de diciembre. Por favor que yo llevara una carta cediendo el departamento, etc. Me puse a buscar departamentos para mí al tiro y después del trabajo caminé por el barrio durante mucho rato buscando algo perfecto. Al volver a casa encontré un recado del dueño, Andy, diciendo: disculpa que no me lo hubiera mencionado antes pero había dos costos con los cuales yo tendría que correr:
1- $50 para George por haber mostrado el departamento
2- $50 para revisarles el Dicom, como quien dice.

Por suerte era recado porque yo no podía parar de decir garabatos, estaba tan enojada con el dueño. Patudísimo. Lo llamé devuelta, ya muy calmada, y dije que no estaba en absoluto de acuerdo porque a) en ninguna parte del mundo se ofrece un servicio y después de cumplido se anuncia, ay, hay un costo por esto y b) lo de Dicom es cosa suya, no es mi responsabilidad.

Bué. El señor Andy se volvió loco. Me llamó avara, difícil, y un montón de cosas que yo podría admitir que soy bajo ciertas circunstancias, pero no en este caso. Lo seguí escuchando con mucha paciencia y sin enojarme para nada con él. Le entendí un poco su punto de vista y como todo esto sería bueno para ambos, le dije que podríamos conversar de dividir estos costos que eran claramente SUYOS. No. Que me olvidara. Que era cosa de principios (yo podría decir lo mismo, no?) y que prefería que ambos perdiéramos. Así que me quedo en el departamento, tal como lo había decidido antes de que todo esto empezara hace pocos días, sola, como quería, con la única lata de que sigo pagando una gran parte de mi sueldo en arriendo. Pero es mi elección y después de la montaña rusa de estos días, regresó a mí. Tan tan no más.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

odio al tal Andy..

 
eXTReMe Tracker