Sunday, December 31, 2006

Reel

I fear I may be people-watching myself to death. My style-envy is breaking me down to a nervous wreck. Look how beautiful! Everyone is beautiful! Shiver, shiver, gnash.

That more or less summarizes my feelings in Manhattan, which is really out of this world. But last night I went on that date (I know, I’m crazy to go on a date in a city I’ll be leaving in 3 days) to Brooklyn. Ahhh, what a relief. Brooklyn is normal, at last, by Montreal standards. I was trying to get a cocktail (vs a mixed drink) and it was almost as hard as getting one on St. Laurent. Every bar we tried was really a pub. And when I decided we should find girls in heels and ask them, it was actually really hard to find any of those. It’s like the real-life version of everything unreal across the river. Anyway, we found two great places: one where we had dinner, I can’t remember the name, and the tiniest waitress took our order; and the bar we finally settled on. Loved it. I think it’s called Charleston and it’s only a couple of months old. The walls are covered in red pleather, with mismatched buttons. The bar stools are each covered in a different and exciting (yes) pattern. The barman is an Argentinean ex-pat who looks like a collision between Robert Smith (of the Cure, for you young ones who don’t know who that is) and Severin Snape (of Harry Potter, for you old ones). Luscious. The jukebox was all Depeche Mode, Pogues, The Slits, Pulp, Roxy Music, and I can’t remember what else I chose. I had a million Cosmos and Robert Snape gave us one on the house, I have no idea why.

Other things I’ve done lately: took the Staten Island Ferry; went to the free night at MoMA; took the M1 bus all the way from Battery Park to the Museum, crossing all neighbourhoods in between and thereby giving myself a little tour; skipped going to the Museum of Natural History to go shopping instead; got a DKNY cashmere scarf from my cousin’s roommate because she doesn’t like the colour on her; and saw a great exhibit at the Museum of Art & Design by the Droog group.

3 comments:

Amy said...

i'm so glad you loved brooklyn. i think it's the only part of ny i really enjoyed. don't know if you're still there and if you haven't already, but go to greepoint. it's this super polish neighbourhood in brooklyn with neat stores and lots of polish food, language, culutre. happy new year! missing you. xx

AWB said...

you can never get enough polish..

my grandfather would say that all the time

everybody should eat more kielbasa

Isabel said...

I was absolutely in Greenpoint, Amy :) Also in the area of Williamsburg that's closest to it. If I lived in New York (dare to dream; Brian says if I pay for the rent, he'll pay for the clothes, haha) I'd probably live around there. It just felt right. Manhattan is fun, but it's crazy-fun. Brooklyn feels more like home.
Axel, is that a joke I missed? I don't remember this at all...

 
eXTReMe Tracker