Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Attention Seeker

Someone told me once that horoscopes are popular because they only say nice things about people, and that if they said nasty -albeit true- things, people wouldn't like them so much. In real life, I might disagree but for the sake of argument I'll climb on this boat and add that any pop psychology game where you fit into a category is usually full of vague and generic "pluses" about you. The Motivator. The Mediator. But you're never The Attention Seeker, even if that is what you, or rather I, am.

I'll start with the worst: My mother says that when I was a baby, she couldn't take a shower without me wanting to sit in the same room (in my portable crib at that point) and watch. This has always been heralded as the piinacle of my attention-desperation, but when I think about that, it seems to me like I just wanted to bask in someone else's rays: my Leo mother's, in this case.

I don't like attention from strangers, and I don't like attention from people I'm not fond of. It creeps me out severely, in fact. When I had a scooter (and a RED helmet) in Santiago, I hated that people noticed me, *unless* they knew me and I wanted to impress them.

This Attention Seeker doesn't do well with bosses who don't care, boyfriends who don't care, or even friends and acquaintances who don't care. I aim to impress, and the people whose attention I Seek (this should be a new sign, for crying out loud!) are one and the same.

Just saying.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker