Thursday, January 26, 2006

31

I'm 31. As of yesterday.

I had a wicked co-party on Saturday with Grae, who you may recognize from previous posts as Groan. A group of 35 or 40 of us met at Sharx for some glow-in-the-dark bowling in disguise. I was Minnie Mouse. Tom was a pirate. He was going for "Mexican pirate" but the poncho was too expensive. Grae did a good job as a cowboy; Julie was wearing a poodle skirt; James was King Kong; Button was a golfer; Nick wore a Royal Tannembaums-reminiscent track suit.

But last night was my favourite. I baked a version of El's Death by Chocolate cake and watched Napoleon Dynamite (gift from T). The girls got me an orchid plant (!!!) which Tom & I named Napoleon and took back to my place. I was queen for a day, it was awesome.

Today was visiting-with-my-dad day. We went to IKEA for a good romping shopping spree (by me, of course. Dad bought 2 50-cent bowls, what else is new). If you care, I was into frames, a new duvet cover (I'm into green this season) and a little something for the boy (I can't tell what or he might read it before I give it to him).

I know I don't *have* to, but I really enjoy buying him stuff I think he needs or would like. He's equally generous that way, and it's a pleasure giving and getting these symbols. I'm not much for things myself. I had all my clothes stolen in Arica, Chile, a long time ago, and part of getting over it was getting over my attachment to things in general. Not that I was ever really into them, except for anything paper and a few "specials" (a particular bottle when I was 4, a pair of boxers from a trip to Florida, my scooter). Anyway, that's not the point. There is just something about gifts, bought or made, that is so... fun!

I like to take my time with them. I soak up the way it's wrapped, how much creativity or care went into that. I open it slowly, create a sense of suspense. And then I like to read whatever may be on it, smell it, touch it, imagine how many ways I'll be able to use it, or how it will remind me of whoever is giving it to me. I love gifts!

So, in parting, here is a little gift for you, to say thanks for reading and sorry I'm late updating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

que entretenido tu bday!!!!
espera al cartero (hay carteros en montreal?) porque trae un regalillo!!!

 
eXTReMe Tracker