Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Superhuman

(traducción al español a continuación)

I had this conversation with my friend Luis some years ago, in a night club. I had some pretty good conversations sitting on the red plush bench that ran around the club, while everyone else danced to the DJs. I never danced. I just sat on the bench –I even had a nap once- and talked to whoever needed a break from the dancing.

So I had this one conversation with Luis in which I expressed my nascent theory about how the Best Life is the Small Life. I can’t remember, unfortunately, what my logical path was to get there, but that was the conclusion and it meant a lot to me. It still means a lot to me. I often wonder, put in different ways, if I should be aspiring to be something more, something greater, or something smaller, something less. Both seem difficult, which doesn’t make it any easier to choose.

The Greater option would be a life full of signs of success. Fame, money, power. The Smaller option would be shedding the desire for those things and working on being satisfied by less. So that night on the red bench I chose the Small Life. And I still think I was right in a way, although I have something to add now.

It seems so much more fulfilling to be the David Suzuki, the Albert Einstein of the picture rather than some Nobel Prize winner who may have done more for the world on his own terms, but remained detached from it. It’s too cold. If regular people can’t “get” you, then what are you doing in the world, really? It’s only partially related but I remember this quote from Franny and Zooey where Mrs. Glass says to one of the kids, “I don’t know what good it is to know so much and be smart as whips and all, if it doesn’t make you happy.”

I am certainly not selling happiness. Happiness is a hormone, as far as I’m concerned. But seriously, what good is knowing anything if you can’t share it with people who wouldn’t otherwise have access to those ideas, with the mainstream?

My goal is the middle.

For me, this is part mission, part consolation. It makes a lot of sense to me, personally, and so like my choice of the Smaller Life, I’ll carry it forward. At the same time, I can’t seriously aspire to maximum achievement in life because I’d need to be smarter, more self-disciplined, richer, more ambitious, more energetic, more obsessive, etc. And I can’t possibly aspire to minimum achievement because, honestly, it’s too late for that. I’ve seen stuff, tasted things and thought things I can’t erase to go backwards. So, essentially, this is the most convenient path for me, and at the same time I really believe in it.

So I just thought I’d share :)

* * *

Tuve una conversación con mi amigo Luis hace algunos años, en un club de música electrónica. Tuve conversaciones bastante buenas sentada en ese banco de plush rojo que recorría el club, mientras los demás bailaban. Yo nunca bailé. Simplemente me sentaba en el banco –incluso dormí una siesta una vez- y conversaba con el que quisiera un respiro del baile.

Así que tuve esta conversación con Luis en la cual le expresé mi naciente teoría en ese momento acerca de por qué la Mejor Vida es la Vida Pequeña. Desafortunadamente no me acuerdo de cómo llegué a esa conclusión, pero ésa fue y era importante para mí. Aún lo es. Me suelo preguntar, de diferentes manera, si debería aspirar a ser algo más, algo más grande, o al contrario, si debería aspirar a algo más pequeño, algo menos. Ambos caminos son difíciles, lo cual no lo hace muy fácil de elegir.

La opción Más sería una vida llena de signos externos de éxito. Fama, plata, poder. La opción Menos sería eliminar el deseo de esas cosas y trabajar en estar satisfecha con el mínimo. Así que esa noche sobre el banco rojo elegí la Vida Pequeña. Y sigo creyendo que tenía razón de alguna manera, aunque tengo algo que agregar ahora.

Me parece tanto mejor ser el David Suzuki, el Albert Einstein de la película, en vez del ganador del Premio Nobel que puede haber hecho más por el mundo a su manera, pero que se mantuvo distante de él. Es demasiado frío. Si la gente normal no te entiende, seriamente, dime ¿qué haces en el mundo? Sólo está levemente relacionado pero me acordé de una cita de Franny y Zooey, cuando la Sra. Glass le dice a uno de los hijos:

- No sé de qué les sirve saber tanto y ser tan inteligentes si no los hace felices.

Ciertamente no estoy vendiendo felicidad acá. En mi opinión, la felicidad es apenas una hormona. Pero en serio, ¿de qué sirve saber cosas si no las puedes compartir con la gente que de otra manera no tendría acceso a esas ideas; con el mainstream?

Mi meta es el medio.

Para mí, esto es en parte misión, en parte consuelo. Me hace sentido, y por eso, como mi elección por la Vida Pequeña, seguiré este camino. A la vez, no puedo seriamente aspirar a los logros máximos en la vida porque tendría que ser más inteligente, más auto-disciplinada, más rica, más ambiciosa, más energética, más obsesiva, etc. Y no puedo aspirar al mínimo porque, seamos sinceros, es tarde para eso. He visto cosas, probado cosas, pensado cosas, que no puedo borrar para retroceder. Así que, esencialmente, este es el camino más conveniente para mí, y a la vez, realmente creo en él.

Así que pensé que lo compartiría con ustedes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo soy luis y niego tajantemente que la anecdota que encabeza el post haya tenido lugar.

Anonymous said...

I really really liked what you wrote.
A few months a go I chose the small life. You know, it's hard to really be true to it, but you get so much more rewards when you stick to the real things and reject things like money or fame.
cheers.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, like it´s so easy to "reject" money and fame.

Anonymous said...

And I thought I was the one and only Anoymous here, one never stops learning.

 
eXTReMe Tracker