Friday, March 09, 2007

And you thought this was bad

This is something Karine and I were talking about on our way to Denver last week: the worst jobs we've ever had. Over the course of the conversation, I remembered a bunch of short gigs I had that I was beginning to forget about. For instance:

* I had a job where I had to wear a yellow jumpsuit. It was in the amusement park of a mall, and my "task" was to open the little gates for the kids to get on, and press the green button to start the ride (carousel, train, zeppelin across the ceiling). It paid well for an 18 year old looking only for extra spending money. But what made me quit was the fact that I was actually paid to *do nothing*. If I had a Tuesday 10am shift and there were no kids then I wasn't allowed to talk to other employees or read. I had to sit at my post and wait. Somehow, being paid to do nothing has not vanished from my life yet.

* I wore a cheap, ill-fitting burgundy mini skirt at a fast food burger joint in a mall for 2 weekends. I thought I had been hired as a cashier (a supposed childhood dream my family likes to poke fun at) but ended up wrapping the hamburgers. I wasn't *allowed* to pour the fries into their carton cups, because I hadn't been... trained to do it yet. Absolutely pathetic. My only friend there was a girl who couldn't afford to go to university but was teaching herself psychology through books a friend of hers would get at the library.

* I never worked retail, but besides the two examples above, I did one more thing at a mall: I stood in a booth, barely enough space for me and another kid, and promoted the newspaper magazine I worked for at the time. I learned the schedule of the mall: when there are less people; when there are too many. I swore I would never work in a place like that ever again, and I don't believe I have.

* For one night only, I worked at a bar. It scared me so much, I took the measly base salary for the night, declined the boss's offer to drive me home after work, and spent it on a cab. I can't remember how old I was, but I must have been young because those people really freaked me out.

* I couldn't get hired at a video rental store. They let me do the 2 or 3 day training but then decided I wasn't worthy because instead of wiping down shelves and taking out the trash I was more interested in recommending movies and working the computer at the cash. Like at the burger place, this was my lesson in the irony of the working world.

That's my story. Anyone else?

6 comments:

Ricardo said...

Yo trabajé una vez en un outlet de ropa... Storage se llamaba... Lo pero era lidiar con la arrogancia de un ejercito de "señoras" que reclamaban porque las poleras no eran de marca (!!!)... pero si la tienda era justamente de ropa barata, no de marca.

Me acuerdo de una vez que pillaron a una llevandose como 10 poleras sin pagarlas... reclamó que era el colmo que la trataran así... y se fue, muy enojada, en su BMW último modelo... ya no sepuede robar con clase en estos días.

Eve said...

I worked in a bar for one night too! It was terrible, and I left the drunkest person there, by far. Yuck.

I also promoted the launch in China for Nestle Iced Tea (Que cao bing shuang cha), for which I had to wear a matching mini dress and hat *retch* and memorize a speech in Chinese, despite being unable to speak or understand it at this point. Awful.

Anonymous said...

Prefacio:
Cuando llegué a Canadá el 72, Sari había llegado 3 semanas antes y había conseguido trabajo en la dirección de los cosméticos Clairol. Al día siguiente me ofrecieron un trabajo en una consultora de ingeniería. Lo rechacé, porque pensé que en Canadá era para regodearse. Me demoré 6 meses en conseguir trabajo profesional.

Meollo:
Para no estar ocioso (¡cómo cambiamos con los años!) iba a una oficina de empleo de obreros, y mientras trabajaba me entretenía viendo que y como se hacían las cosas en las usinas, aunque mi trabajo fuera limpiar pisos, armar estanterías, sacar tarros calientes a la salida del horno de secado de pintura, etc.

El mehoyo del donut:
Una sola vez me chorié. Fui a un colegio en Verdún, y limpiaba pisos y baños, etc. De repente aparece un italiano de baja estofa, un pobre diablo que vivía en ese trabajo y comenzó a echarme el caballo encima. Le dije que se metiera el trabajo por donde le cupiera y me mandé cambiar.

Epílogo:
Casi 20 años después ese colegio se cerró y lo convirtieron en condominios. Hace 4 años atrás me compré un departamento ¡en ese mismo edificio!

Pospílogo:
A una cuadra de aquí había otro colegio, uno de niñas administrado por monjas. También lo cerraron y ahora es una residencia de ancianos. Ahí Isabel iba a prepararse para su primera comunión.

Cuqui said...

Mi peor trabajo fue hacerle clases de inglés a un tipo de 18 años, estudiante de periodismo, que ni siquiera podía hablar correctamente castellano.
Cuando le mostraba la foto de un sapo y le pedía que me dijera en inglés el nombre del animal, me respondía sin arrugarse: sap. en otra ocasión me tradujo los VERBOS To fly y To Rise... traducción: la mosca, el arroz.
Pero lejos lo peor, era que debía luchar cada clase para que no se encerrara en el baño por media hora (recordemos que tenía 18 años), no se quedara dormido escribiendo o no me mirara las pechugas mientras le hablaba.

Lo que hace uno por el vil dinero...

AWB said...

Lesson: Employers prefer em blonde

AWB said...

Bueno, yo trabaje en lo mismo.. se llamaba.. uff.. no era happyland.. aventura? algo asi
y el jefe.. supervisor.. no me acuerdo, pero me tenia rebuena onda. Me dijo una vez que yo fui el unico empleado del cual una clienta le hizo un comentario positivo.
Pero me paso lo mismo que a ti. No queria esconder mas los libros, y estar haciendo NADA.

Como por orgullo me daba lata renunciar sin mas, decidi dedicarme a buscar como me echaran. No fue posible.
al final, deje crecer el pelo, mi jefe me dijo el pelo se corta o te vas. y ta.

 
eXTReMe Tracker